The “MkII” version of Rotel’s flagship CD player adds a new DAC and other improved circuitry.
Rotel’s flagship CD player
My fellow Crutchfield writer Archer A. referred to the original CD-1572 as “digital bliss.” And the Rotel CD-1572 MkII is an upgrade to that beloved disc player, so it stands to provide even better sound quality from your CD collection.
The primary change is a big one. The MkII uses a premium Texas Instruments digital to analog converter chip that can handle sources up to 32-bit/384kHz. That’s more resolution than the 16-bit/44.1kHz CD format will ever present, but it’s this kind of “over-engineering” that gives Rotel components their exceptional sense of space and depth.
The original player boasted some serious post-DAC components, carefully chosen by Rotel to provide uncompromising sound quality. Rotel’s engineers further customized the interior of the new MkII version with custom circuit board layouts and optimized isolation of components. All of those seemingly small tweaks add up to improve the purity of the signal path, and further reduce noise.
Plenty of connections
One great thing that hasn’t changed — there are still the same connection options on the back panel. There’s a pair of unbalanced RCA outputs that can be used to hook the MkII up to a stereo receiver. If you own higher-end gear, you’re still covered by a pair of balanced XLR outs. It also has a coaxial digital output if you wanted to bypass the onboard DAC.
Who is Rotel?
Rotel has been crafting high-performance gear for music and home theater enthusiasts since 1961. They focus on creating the best signal path possible, using premium capacitors, transistors, diode bridges, and custom toroidal power supplies to get the most from music and movie soundtracks. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of Rotel components including preamps, amplifiers, CD players, and home theater processors.
- plays audio CDs and CD-RWs
- premium Texas Instruments 32-bit/384kHz digital to analog converter
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (±0.5dB)
- total harmonic distortion: 0.002% @ 1kHz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 118dB
- smooth-action tray loading CD mechanism
- programmable playback (20 tracks)
- handheld remote control included
- unbalanced stereo analog RCA output
- balanced stereo analog XLR output
- coaxial digital output
- RS-232 port for integration with automation systems
- 12-volt trigger in
- 3.5mm input for IR repeater systems
- Rotel Link 3.5mm input for optional attachment of other Rotel network-enabled products with Rotel Link Out connections
- app controllable using the Rotel app (free for iOS®) when connected to a product with a Rotel Link Out port