Denon fans, you’re in for a treat
There aren’t many companies that have been around since 1910, and the list gets much smaller when you’re talking about audio companies. 2020 marks a staggering 110 years since Denon began making high-quality audio gear. To celebrate, they created the AVR-A110 — a 110th Anniversary Edition home theater receiver that’s loaded with massive amplification and practically every technological bell and whistle that Denon offers.
High-quality sound — in one room or three
At its core, the flagship AVR-A110 is an audiophile-grade 13-channel amplifier. Use all 13 channels in an expansive 7.2.6 or 9.2.4 Dolby Atmos or DTS:X™ home theater. Or, go with a more conventional surround sound setup, and repurpose the extra channels for sound in up to two additional zones.
Rated at a beefy 150 watts per channel (with two channels driven), the AVR-A110 can drive stand-mount, floor-standing, or custom-integrated speakers with authority.
Advanced video processing for movies and more
Denon made sure the AVR-A110 is compatible with the latest video technology. One of its eight HDMI inputs supports 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video content (think Sony’s upcoming PlayStation® 5, or the Xbox Series X). The other seven HDMI inputs support 4K at 60 frames per second — perfect for high-quality sources like a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player, or an Apple TV.
Enjoy music from a variety of sources
The AVR-A110 isn’t just a stellar choice for watching movies — it’s exceptional with music, too. Stream tunes from your phone or tablet through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Apple AirPlay 2. Or, use the built-in phono input for your turntable. You can even play high-resolution tracks from a USB drive or networked computer.
Expand your system with HEOS Built-in
HEOS Built-in technology lets you access all kinds of different content through the AVR-A110. Listen to internet radio stations, or to popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL.
You can also integrate the AVR-A110 into a wireless multi-room audio system with compatible speakers or streaming components. Check out my hands-on review of a few HEOS-enabled speakers to learn more about how this platform works.
Advanced room calibration with Audyssey
The AVR-A110 includes Audyssey MultEQ® XT32 — one of the industry’s best room-correction platforms.
Audyssey measures the acoustics of your room with the included microphone, and then fine-tunes the output of your system to best match the unique sonic characteristics of your space. The resulting sound is clear, smooth, and ultra-detailed, with tight bass and impactful dynamics.
Speaking from personal experience, I recommend you spring for the optional Audyssey MultEQ Editor app. It lets you direct the speaker calibration process from your phone or tablet (instead of with the receiver’s remote control). It also offers additional sound optimization features (like Midrange Compensation) that I have found well worth the money.
- limited-production, 110th Anniversary Edition
- Certificate of Authenticity stamped with the approval of Denon’s Head Engineer
- premium 5-year warranty (2 years longer than other top Denon receivers)
- attractive silver graphite finish
- special 110th Anniversary badging inside and out
Power and processing:
- 13-channel amplifier
- 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby®, DTS®, and Auro-3D® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos® processing for use with in-ceiling or “height” speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X® create three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- IMAX® Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- analog-to-HDMI video conversion
- upscales standard-definition video signals to HD and Ultra HD (up to 8K)
- Audyssey speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- MultEQ® XT32 auto setup and room calibration delivers balanced, dynamic sound with enhanced surround performance
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for dual subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
- Audyssey MultEQ Editor app for further audio customization (paid app; not included)
Digital and streaming music options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- HEOS Built-in technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music®
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- Denon’s Compressed Audio Restorer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- three-room/three-source output
- powered stereo outputs for second and third rooms allow playback in three rooms at once
- All Zone Stereo mode ensures that all zones stay in sync when playing the same source
- supports both analog and digital audio connections
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2 compatible audio sources: HDMI audio, optical/coaxial digital inputs, analog audio inputs, AM/FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth, and HEOS music apps
- cannot select different USB/Bluetooth/network sources for each zone
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 8 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 out
- 1 input and 2 outputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video
- all inputs and outputs support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 4 in, 2 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 2 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo RCA audio inputs
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- 15.2-channel preamp outputs, including two discrete line-level subwoofer outputs for more precise multi-subwoofer setups
- Pre-Amplifier Mode lets you use this receiver as a preamp/processor by bypassing the internal amplification when paired with optional external power amps
- outputs for 15 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height1 L/R, Height2 L/R, Height3 L/R, Height4 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 13 channels at once
- RS-232C and remote (IR) connections for use with optional third-party controllers
- dual 12-volt trigger outputs for sending power commands to external gear, like a power amplifier or cooling fan
- full-sized headphone jack
- removable power cord
Setup, dimensions, and warranty:
- free Denon AVR Remote app lets you use your Apple® or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- 17-1/8″W x 7-3/4″H x 18-5/8″D (10-1/4″H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 51.4 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVRA110GS