The REL R505 is not a traditional subwoofer, but rather true sub-bass system. The largest model of the R Series Range is designed to augment the performance of “full range” speaker systems
The REL R-505 represents the first use of digital amplifiers; REL having determined that until recently Class-D amps did not offer sufficient control to meet standards. However, recent advances in the state of the amplifier art have resulted in a range of amplifiers that demonstrate excellent speed and control, especially in the low bass. When partnered with new drivers that are higher in performance, yet lighter in weight than their predecessors, the result is a new level of performance for the category.
The REL R505 is not a traditional subwoofer, but rather true sub-bass system. The REL R-Series is designed to augment the performance of “full range” speaker systems and to provide linear response down to below 20Hz. Properly set-up and positioned, they will take advantage of physics and room acoustics to provide deep pressurization as no other subwoofer can. Unique to the REL are its connectivity options.
For two-channel audio systems a high-level connection, using the enclosed cable with the Neutrik Speakon connector, is always the first choice. By connecting to the amplifier’s speaker outputs the sonic signature of the entire amplification chain is folded into the signal for the sub, thereby keeping timing and timbre cues consistent. Additionally, a low-level connection using RCA inputs is always an option, should high-level connection not be possible. In a surround system where both high-level and low-level connection is used, the REL R-Series provides individual inputs and gain control for both the Neutrik high level and .1/LFE input allowing accurate signal blend and balance.
All REL R-Series models feature a front mounted control box where gain, crossover and phase adjustment reside. The location of these controls allow for easy access when performing set-up and a glass security panel can be affixed to prevent tampering. Additionally, this box can be removed from the enclosure along with the feet to effectively reduce the enclosure’s size. This is most useful in a custom installation situation.
- True 500W (RMS) discrete, direct-coupled MOSFET amplifier
- Downward-firing long-throw 254mm (10″) steel chassis driver with ventilated pole-piece.
- Improved ABC® filtering circuit
- Audiophile grade toroidal transformer
- Phase Switch with two settings 0 and 180 degrees
- High quality, gas-tight Neutrik Speakon input (high level)
- High quality, panel-mounted phono input at +12dB (low level)
- Overload Protection Set Safe™ design. Over Voltage over current
- Totally discrete input circuitry for high and low level inputs
- Separate volume controls for high and low-level adjustment
- Double-sided glass-fibre board with plated-through holes
- IEC power input socket – no captive leads for installation flexibility
- Finished in English Oak, Piano Black and Rosenut