M8 Encore 500 – Overview
The Encore 500 is a complete audio solution allowing you to keep all your music in one place. It accepts almost any conceivable analog or digital audio source. It is also compatible with many network speakers, such as Sonos. There is a very clear, large, high resolution full colour display so you can see what’s going on.
The Encore is easy and intuitive to use. It has 500 watts per channel and a huge range of facilities; 3 analog inputs, 4 digital inputs, 4 USB A connections (one of which has high current capacity for charging phones and tablets), network connectivity, high quality variable line level outputs as well as a digital output.
The Encore 500 has an inbuilt CD player and a 2TB hard disk drive for storage – enough for over 5000 CDs. The heart of the Encore is a powerful dual core 64 bit Intel CPU with 2GB of RAM. This provides superb performance and allows continual upgrading of its facilities making the Encore virtually future proof.
As you may know I am fanatic about my music, that’s why I started MF. I also adore the equipment: the PCBs, metalwork, the creative combination of all these elements stimulates and appeals to me.
Normally my home system is an eclectic combination of all of MF’s product ranges. It is fun mixing, matching and listening to the result.
Okay, I admit it, I’m a hobbyist!
The M8 Encore has proved a revelation. As with all MF products, I brought one home to test and listen to, and it was fab.
But here’s the thing, it gradually reformatted my mind until all the other stuff has somehow been sidelined. Now, there it sits, on it’s own, a beautiful big guy, and it does everything I need or want. Fast and easily.
And I’m content.
M8 Encore 500 in brief:
- Easy and intuitive to use
- Huge connectivity
- Standard 2TB internal storage for over 5000 CDs
- Compatible with many network speakers, such as Sonos
- Large, high resolution, full colour display
- Control with either IR handset or Apps (both Apple & Android)
- Dual core 64bit Intel CPU – as future proof as we can make it
- 32 Bit 384k DAC
- Spotify, Tidal & Qobuz Streaming Services
- NAS Drive Compatible
- New Bridged amplifier arrangement based on those in the M6 Encore 225
M8 Encore 500 – Specifications
- Power 500 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms
- Voltage 63Volts RMS, 20Hz to 20 kHz; onset of clipping
- 178 Volts peak to peak
- Current 90 Amps peak to peak
- Damping factor 180
- Output devices 4 pairs per channel
Line input performance
- Input signal voltage 0-7 Vrms maximum
- THD+N < 0.007 % typical, 20Hz to 20 kHz
- Signal / noise ratio > 107dB ‘A’-weighted
- Input impedance 40 kΩ
- Frequency response + 0, –0.1dB, 10Hz to 20 kHz
Line level inputs
- 3 pairs line level RCA connectors
- Digital inputs
- 2 Optical S/PDIF (up to 24bit/192kHz)
- 2 Coaxial S/PDIF (up to 24bit/192kHz)
- 1 Front panel Type A USB2 socket (1.5A USB-BC 1.2 compliant)
- 2 Back panel Type A USB2 socket (500mA)
- 1 Back panel Type A USB3 Socket (USB-BC1.2)
- 1 Back panel Type B socket (Factory use only)
All of the ENCOREs USBs are activated to copy music files from USB devices, and the sockets are electrically active so you can charge your phone/tablet/portable USB device.
Line level outputs
- 1 pair line level RCA connectors, fixed level outputs gain = 0dB (x1) 7 Vrms output maximum
- 1 pair line level RCA connectors, PREAMP outputs set by volume gain = -∞ to +13dB maximum 7 Vrms output maximum
- 1 Optical S/PDIF (up to 24bit/192kHz)
- 1 Coaxial S/PDIF (up to 24bit/192kHz)
- Speaker outputs
- 2 pairs 4mm banana plug/binding posts (1 set each left and right)
- 0.25” (6.35mm) impedance 10Ω – ∞
- RJ45 8P8C 10/100/1000Base-T
- Mains voltages 115/230VAC 50/60Hz (factory pre-set)
- 100VAC 50/60Hz (alternative)
- <0.5W in standby mode
- 58W idle
- 1.6k Watts maximum
- Unit only, unboxed 38.5 kg (84 lbs)
- In shipping carton (inc. accessories) 47 kg (103 lbs)
- Wide 483 mm (19”)
- High, including feet 185 mm (7 1/3 ”)
- Deep (front to back) including terminals 510 mm (20”)
- IEC type mains lead 16-Amp type
- Remote control
- Batteries LR03 or AAA, manganese alkaline type 2 off
- Ethernet cable
- Quick start guide